Application & Admission
Before you start the application process please read the guidelines for a successful application to the IMPRS-CMS carefully.
We offer first class training and education for highly motivated doctoral students from Germany, Europe and all over the world in a stimulating research environment. This competitive doctoral program provides students with an excellent starting platform for a successful career in the fields of solid state chemistry, condensed matter physics, and materials science. The application process starts with the online registration, but also includes three-day on-campus interviews for all shortlisted candidates, which offers the opportunity to get to know the institute and meet scientists and students of the MPI-FKF.
Who can apply?
- Highly motivated students holding a Master's degree in physics, chemistry, or materials science can be directly admitted to the PhD program. Please follow the instructions for the application.
- Exceptional students with a Honors BSc degree (4 or 5 years of study) can also be admitted to the Ph.D. program.
- Outstanding candidates with Bachelor's degrees can apply for a "bachelor fellowship" funded by the IMPRS-CMS. At the same time, they have to enroll in one of the Master's programs at the University of Stuttgart:
- MSc in Chemistry (program mainly in German)
- MSc in Materials Science (Program in English)
- MSc in Physics (Program in English)
When can I apply?
PhD programm: There are two deadlines every year. The application deadline for spring is September 30st, of the year before. Deadline for the fall term is Febuary 28st. Only the deadlines are fixed, the starting date can vary should be within six month after the selection process.
If you missed the deadline please apply for the next term.
Bachelor fellowship: There is no application deadline for the stipend.