Information for Applicants holding a Master's Degree
There are two application periods per year:
- The application period for the autumn term ends on January 31 of the current year.
- The application period for the spring term ends on September 30 of the year before.
- Last day for the submission of the referee reports is 7 days after the registration deadline.
The selection procedure:
- pre-selection of candidates on the basis of the submitted documents
- shortlisted candidates are invited to Stuttgart for a series of personal interviews (travel and accommodation will reimbursed by the IMPRS)
- rejected and interview candidates will be informed about 4 weeks after the deadline
- On the first day each invited candidate gives a short lecture on a subject of her/his choice (e.g. MSc thesis). Another two days are reserved for individual interviews.
- The board of the IMPRS-CMS then prepares a final shortlist (less than 3 % of all applicants will get an offer for PhD studies). The final decision about admission will be communicated approximately 2 months after the application deadline. After receiving an offer for a PhD position, you should begin within 6 months.
Our selection criteria:
Registration information, curriculum vitae, academic records, recommendation letters, quality of the home university, comparison of the applicant's education profile with the program's research profile, comparison with other applicants, and the personal impression.